Hyper-V Virtual Machine Selector Issues using Server 2012 R2

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Selector Issues using Server 2012 R2

Author
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
When using the Hyper-V Virtual Machine selector, the only functions that appear to be working are Start, Stop, Reset, and Shut Down.

Observed Issues:

Connect: A window very briefly pops up like it is trying to open a new connection and then disappears. Thumbnail view works however.
Pause: Does nothing when clicked. Shows status unknown if the VM is paused through the Hyper-V host.
Resume: Greyed out when the VM is paused
Save: Does nothing when clicked. Shows status unknown if the VM is saved through the Hyper-V host.

Please let me know what further information you need. I am testing this using SmartCode 6.10.1 and Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.
I am more than willing to test / try anything I can to help resolve this.

Thanks!!
Yury Averkiev (s-code)
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being
Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago @ 6:45 PM
Hi!
Connect: A window very briefly pops up like it is trying to open a new connection and then disappears.
When this happens is there any error text in the SmartCode VNC Manager log window? 

http://www.s-code.com/App_Themes/Default/images/blue_line.gif
Kindest Regards,
SmartCode Solutions Support
hgtech
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to. I see no error text on the screen.
Is there somewhere else I need to look for a log file / entry?

I did check the Connection History and each time I try to Connect to a Hyper-V VM, it logs a RDP Disconnect entry for the Hyper-V Host address on port 2179.

I have checked to make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking port 2179.
Yury Averkiev (s-code)
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being
Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)Supreme Being (193.8K reputation)

We have fixed problems with Pause/Save commands on Windows Server 2012 R2. Those fixes will be included in the next build.

Regarding log window, I'm referring to this one:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11836057/2015-01-18_17-22-41.png

Btw, please try the following KB and let me know if it fixed the problem:
Edited
2 Years Ago by Yury Averkiev (s-code)
hgtech
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being

I checked the log window (I had the actions view hidden - that's why I missed it). I was getting the exact error as the screenshot you posted.

I tried the registry entries from Microsoft KB954357 referenced in your KB article without success. In the process of testing/troubleshooting, I downloaded HVRemote which required me to install Windows RSAT and enable Hyper-V Manager (Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features On or Off, Remote Server Administration Tools, Role Administration Tools, Hyper-V Tools).

After installing Hyper-V Tools as stated above, it started working. To confirm that fixed the issue, I went back and removed/uninstalled all the changes I had made. The problem started happening again. I rebooted and only installed Hyper-V Tools as stated above. When I tested, everything was working properly.

Is there some component of Hyper-V Tools that is necessary for Hyper-V Manager inside SmartCode to function properly?

Thanks for all your help with this!
Yury Averkiev (s-code)
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being

I forgot about the trick with installing Huoer-V tools. I had to use it back in Windows Server 2008 days. VNC Manager doesn't require Hyper-V tools to work. My guess that installing Hyper-V tools changes a setting or a policy on the computer that is required for Hyper-V VMS connections to work. I'll try to do some digging to figure out what that setting is. 

Thanks for your help!

Kindest Regards,
hgtech
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being

Just a quick update. The fix I listed above appears to only work on Windows 7. I just checked a couple of our Windows 8 workstations and it still does not work on them.
hgtech
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being

I've had a chance to do some more troubleshooting with this today on one of our Windows 8.1 workstations.

Running HVRemote checks out correctly. Also, Hyper-V Manager inside Windows will connect to the Hyper-V host and allow me to open a Virtual Machine Connection to any running VM.
The problem appears to be something limited to VNC Manager (at least on Windows 8.1) as I can connect just fine using the Microsoft utilities.

The same configuration that works on Windows 7 does not work on Windows 8.1.

Thanks for your help with this!
Yury Averkiev (s-code)
View Quick Profile

Supreme Being

Thank you for an update! We are investigating this from our side as well. As soon as this issue is figured out, we will release 6.10.2.

Kindest Regards,